Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chapter Twelve

“Kay did this about three years ago too” Felix said, stirring his tea absent-mindedly, “she was gone for a week. When she got back it turns out her grandfather died, and she went to Ireland to scatter his ashes.”

“Who doesn’t tell their friends when their relatives die?”

“Kaylin Colleen McSandsen,” Felix deadpanned.

“What did you do? Did you freak out?”

“Not really. Well, at first I did, we all did. She’s not the type of person to not return phone calls or anything, you know? But when she got back she was the same old Kay. She said that she just wasn’t that close to her grandfather or anything, they just had one of those relationships. So I hung around a bit more than usual, to make sure she was really ok and before I knew it, it was like nothing had ever happened. But Kay gets depressed in the winters” Felix realized aloud, "not dramatic, or anything, but just not as chipper I guess. I dunno, it's weird. She doesn't like the holidays I guess, she's been like this as long as I've known her."

Felix was Kay’s oldest friend. She met him about an hour after moving to New York; he was her neighbor: a gay man that was living on his own for the first time and fully embracing his eccentric, flamboyant side. Kay loved and took care of him, everything from his broken hearts to his hangovers.

Eventually Kaylin bought a duplex in Queens, and Felix got a steady job as “Felicia” in the drag review of “Victor/Victoria: Victorious!” but they still talked to each other regularly. Felix was wearing charcoal gray pants, a black, mock turtleneck and a matching scarf. He was lounging in a chair at one of the outside tables of a café in SoHo; the weather was unseasonably warm and Felix was primped like he was starring in a reality show.

He raised one eyebrow, “I am assuming that everything is OK with Kay, or else you would have told me over the phone right?” he asked noticing Ryan leaning across the table.

“I told her I loved her the last time I saw her,” Ryan said, “and she took off like a speeding bullet. Now I called her box office and they said she took the day off ‘for personal reasons.’” Felix’s eyes stared off, processing what Ryan had just told him. He had an idea what was going on, but it wasn’t his place to tell this story.

“I’m sure she’s fine,” Felix commented, trying to keep the worry from his face. “Did you mean it?”

“Mean what?”

“Do you really love her? You haven’t known each other very long.”

“I do. I can’t explain it, but being around her,” Felix waving his hand interrupted Ryan.

“I don’t need to hear about it. But if you do, if you really love her and want to run away and get married or whatever it is you breeders do, you need to know more about her.”

“I would, but I can’t get a hold of her,” Ryan sulked as the waiter came over and handed Felix the check; with a quick gesture, Felix pointed in Ryan’s direction and stood up. Ryan fished out money from his jeans pocket.

“You need to ask her about the scars,” Felix said dramatically and pulled his winter white parka about him, “and then tell her to call me.”

No comments: